Sunday, January 27, 2013

What do you draw


What Do You Draw?

What subject matter inspires one to draw? I gave my drawing class a sketchbook assignment to draw any 5 things outside their house. One of the students got confused and thought she was to draw 25 things. She emailed me saying there aren’t that many things to draw! I replied saying that there are at least 125 things close by her house to draw but that she only had to do 5. She said, well, yes, but I don’t really want to draw any of them. With that in mind, I went outside to see what I would draw. The first thing I came across was the ditch where my brother-in-law had repaired a leaky pipe in our sprinkler system. Was I inspired? No, but as I drew I found the maze of pipes and valves and the sides of the ditch interesting and challenging to draw. It’s a quick sketch but I hope it demonstrates that if you just start drawing, you can find interest.



No comments:

Post a Comment